Then God said, Let lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. Let them be signs to mark the seasons, days, and years (Genesis 1:14).
Another year has passed and a new one has just begun. Every January 1st marks a day of new beginnings. A day of new resolutions for each man and woman as they flip open their new calendar to the first month of this year. Psalm 39:5 says, “You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath.”
Scripture tells us that are lives are but a mere breath. Some might have said that 2011 was so fast and they cannot believe it is already 2012. Some might feel the happiness of flipping the calendar to 2012 because they seek hope that this year might be different, this year might just be better. There are some things in life we cannot control like the separation of husband and wife due to military orders or the loss of a job due to laying off, but what we CAN control are the decisions in life.
Here are 10 decisions that you can make so that this year WILL be different:
- Accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior
- Seek God daily in prayer and by reading His amazing Word
- Forgive and ask to be Forgiven
- Fast once a month for your spouse or other loved ones
- Attend church regularly and serve if able
- Teach your children about God every chance you get
- When tempted by the devil—scream out promises of God (NOTE: you will only know these by reading the Word of God)
- Intentionally Serve your friends, family, neighbors, and community with a Christ-like/guiltless love
- Ask God to show you your gifts and talents (Then use them)
- Do NOT Worry. Matthew 6:27-34
To put it simply, stop moping around feeling sorry for yourself and start making right decisions. God favors the upright so if you desire the blessing of God in your life then start by asking yourself this simple question—Do I have a relationship with Jesus Christ? If the answer is yes, then proceed by asking yourself another quick question—Am I seeking Him daily in everything that I do? It is good to do evaluation of our lives because it gives a gauge of where we are and where God desires us to be.
If your answer was no to the first question then you have an opportunity to make the most important decision you will ever make in your life right now. God is not the author of confusion so He makes it quite simple for us.
- Admit that we are sinners (have you lied, lusted after a man or woman, envied something, etc.)
- Accept that Jesus lived a perfect life here on earth and died so that those sins above could be forgiven before God.
- Accept that He rose on the third day and is now alive, seated at the right hand of God making intercessions for you and me.
- Ask Jesus to come into your life and God will send the Spirit to live in you.
- Then walk in the Spirit and tell others about the amazing grace you found.
If you made this decision today, please e-mail me and let me know. I can help you find a church to attend or guide you along your path as a new believer. I would like to send you a Bible and some other resources that can help you draw closer to God. Lastly, I would like to pray over you and this eternal decision.
Although today is the day of a New Year and we might seek new resolutions for our life, let us remember that every day is a New Day for God’s mercies and that won’t cost you a dime. Lamentations 3:22-26 provides a glimpse of this promise:
22Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
25The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
Be Blessed and Bless Others Today.
By: Rehana Allsup